Donor Advised Fund
Your Best Stewardship Option
A donor advised fund (DAF) is a charitable giving vehicle administered by The Orchard Foundation and created for the purpose of managing charitable donations on behalf of an organization, family, or individual. A DAF offers the opportunity to create an easy-to-establish, low cost, flexible vehicle for charitable giving as an alternative to direct giving or creating a private foundation. It’s that simple—and that effective.
A DAF provides the following benefits:
- The flexibility to recommend grants to your favorite charity
- Sound fiscal management
- Immediate tax advantages
- Optimal stewardship of your financial resources with minimal investment of your time
Donors of appreciated securities or other assets are provided a tax deduction for the market value of the donation while avoiding capital gain taxes. Because of this dual advantage, it is more beneficial to donate appreciated assets to a charitable organization through a DAF than to sell those assets and donate cash.
A donor advised fund empowers you to:
- Give when you want to give
- Take your tax deduction when it most benefits you
- Choose from a variety of investment options
- Avoid capital gains on donated securities and thereby increase your giving potential
Establishing and using a donor advised fund is easy!
Read the following documents to understand the IRS and The Orchard Foundation restrictions on donor advised funds:
- Complete the Donor Advised Fund Application and fax it to 719-268-7256 or mail it to The Orchard Foundation, PO Box 35660, Colorado Springs, CO 80935-3566. Due to privacy and security concerns, please do not email your application.
- Mail a check to The Orchard Foundation for your initial contribution or call The Orchard Foundation toll free 1-888-689-6300 for instructions to transfer securities.
To make a distribution from your donor advised fund, complete the DAF Distribution Form and return it to The Orchard Foundation:
- Fax: 719-268-7256
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: The Orchard Foundation, PO Box 35660, Colorado Springs, CO 80935-3566
If you have questions, please call The Orchard Foundation toll free 1-888-689-6300. Current giving opportunities: